Home' South Florida Gay News : SFGN 011316 Contents 4 • 01.13.2016
Anew bar on Wilton Drive is battling
misconceptions as to its theme.
Ballz Bar opened for business just
after New Year’s with more than 1,300 people
attending the celebration. The bar, occupying
the same space once known as Sidelines, fancies
itself a “sports bar with a kick.”
“The core of the business is a sports bar,” said
owner Sean David in an interview with SFGN
from the bar’s outside patio area adorned by
palm trees, metal lockers and colorful murals of
David said because the opening festivities
featured shirtless bartenders, muscled men in
wrestling trunks and dainty cheerleaders, it
left some with the impression Ballz intends to
operate as a strip club. Not so said David.
“We wanted to create excitement with the
grand opening like celebrations should be,”
David said. “We’re taking a space, upgrading
it, making it fresh and modern for people who
enjoy sports to come and have a good time.”
David though has owned other gay male
strip clubs in the past including Le Boy in Fort
Lauderdale, which may have led some to assume
Ballz would also be a strip club.
Making nightlife memorable is David’s
expertise. He arrived in South Florida from Israel
as a 22-year-old photographer and through
two decades has built a successful career in bar
“You must have passion and love what you
do,” David said. “The satisfaction comes from
seeing people enjoying themselves and having a
David said Ballz plans to host live bands and
special events to coincide with championship
sporting games and is already reaching out
to local leagues. Teams or leagues seeking
sponsorships should contact David.
Ballz is not a strip CluB
The new sports bar features football
What: Ballz Bar Where: 2031 Wilton Drive, Wilton Manors
hours: Open seven days a week at 2p.m . (4 p.m . Mondays)
There is no door charge. More Info: 954-368 -5094 or www.ballzbar.com
Did the owner of Scandals, Ken Kelley,
know that his bar was being sued for
tens of thousands of dollars? According
to what he told SFGN last week, yes he did.
But that’s not the same story he and his lawyer
have been telling in court.
“At the time of the incident in 2011, The
Stable, which ceased operations August 1,
2015, contacted local authorities and Broward
County Sheriff’s deputies responded. After
their investigation, they determined the
allegations by Dinsmore were not warranted
and no further action was taken on their part,”
Kelley wrote in an email to SFGN. “Dinsmore
proceeded with a lawsuit against The Stable.
Along with Broward County Sherriff’s deputies,
I determined the incident was a non-issue and
elected to not defend the case. End of story.”
Come to find out that isn’t the end of the
story by a long shot.
While Kelley insisted this is a “non-issue,”
it turns out, according to documents filed last
month, it’s a big issue.
In December a jury awarded $39,787 to
Jeffrey Dinsmore, a patron at the now closed
Stable Bar in Oakland Park, which was owned
Because Kelley did not defend against the
lawsuit the plaintiff, Dinsmore, automatically
Now Kelley is telling the court he had no
knowledge of the lawsuit and wasn’t properly
notified, a story that is decidedly different
than the one he told SFGN.
In the case, Dinsmore had alleged he was
injured in 2011, when Ray Alley, a bouncer
in the bar, violently threw him to the ground
causing a concussion. Due to his injuries
Dinsmore was out of work for over three
Lawyers for both sides went back and
forth until early last year, when Kelley’s law
firm asked to withdraw, claiming they had
“irreconcilable differences” with the Scandal’s
owner. The court ordered Kelley to find new
When Kelley failed to comply with the
judicial directive, Judge Rodriguez-Powell
entered a default judgment against Scandals
on the merits of the claim. A jury was then
called to determine damages. It reached its
verdict on Nov. 5.
Kelley was then subpoenaed in for post trial
depositions filed by the plaintiff in December
to try to collect on the judgment.
Now he’s in court desperately trying to
overturn the verdict.
His lawyers argued in a ten-page
memorandum that he had no knowledge that
his pleadings on the case were being struck.
They also argued the plaintiff’s lawyer failed
to notify them about a required mediation
conference, and that “it was the defendant’s
intention to attend a mediation conference
in an attempt to resolve the case,” and the
plaintiff “did not contact by any means of
communication Kenneth Kelley, to discuss any
of the issues raised.”
But that’s not what Kelley told SFGN. As
mentioned above he wrote, “I determined the
incident was a non-issue and elected to not
defend the case.”
sCandals owner FiGhts
JudGment in Court
Editor’s NotE: In last week’s edition, SFGN inadvertently
published a picture of a Scandals bartender, instead of Ken Kelley.
We apologize for the error.
See updated news story on page 22.
Links Archive SFGN 010616 SFGN 012016 Navigation Previous Page Next Page